Sunday 11 March 2012

Superhero vs Supervillain

I feel in quite a good place with my ideas, I have secured several ideas which I am happy that I could develop further. I know that I have to chose one and with the gothic theme pushing forward in the back of my head I have decided to carry out a little more research on super heroes and villains.  By doing this I am sure I will be able to finalize an idea, so that I can being character development and floor plans for my virtual space.

Two shows that I have watched on TV before are; heroes and misfits. Both of these shows take a contemporary take on super powers and supernatural abilities. When I first read the brief on this project these two programmes were one of the first things I thought about- hence why I feel the importance to look at the characters and the abilities  which some of them possess.

Heroes:
The interesting thing about the series is that explores normal people adjusting and discovering that they have superpowers and skills.

'Some of the superheroes who will be introduced to the viewing audience include Peter Petrelli, an almost 30-something male nurse who suspects he might be able to fly, Isaac Mendez, a 28-year-old junkie who has the ability to paint images of the future when he is high, Niki Sanders, a 33-year-old Las Vegas showgirl who begins seeing strange things in mirrors, Hiro Nakamura, a 24-year-old Japanese comic-book geek who literally makes time stand still, D.L. Hawkins, a 31-year-old inmate who can walk through walls, Matt Parkman, a beat cop who can hear other people's thoughts, and Claire Bennet, a 17-year-old cheerleader who defies death at every turn. As the viewing audience is discovering the nature of each hero's powers, the heroes themselves are discovering what having superpowers means to them as well as the larger picture of where their superpowers come from.'


From the text above it is clear that there are a vast selection of skills and abilities  across different types of characters. Most of the people who have powers in the show are heroes, and use their abilities in a positive way. The villain Silas, appeals to me more that the moral characters, I think this is because he adds a dimension to the storyline which contrasts the usual pleasant and correct code of society. This makes me think about my super character, and tells me that I should look at a villain, simply because of my interest in the darker elements of the show.

Misfits:
Similar to Heroes, Misfits is which explores how powers have changed normal individuals lives. Created by channel four, this grimy series relates to teens because of its characters and their lifestyle.  Personally, I love this programme, it is dark, mysterious and humorous, The characters are not your 'run of the mill' well behaved teens, as they are completing community service. After a storm all of the characters have a range of special powers. The brilliant thing is, that they are all fairly unconventional powers, and not your 'stereotypical' super heroes.

'Hard as nails Kelly (Lauren Socha) can suddenly hear people’s thoughts, shamed sporting hero Curtis (Nathan Stewart Jarrett) discovers he has the ability to turn back time when he regrets something, and party girl Alisha (Antonia Thomas) can send people into a sexual frenzy when they touch her skin. Even painfully shy Simon (Iwan Rheon) can make himself invisible when he feels he’s being ignored, which makes it all the more hard to swallow for smart aleck Nathan (Robert Sheehan), who seems to have been unaffected, much to his dismay.

Unlike their more conventional counterparts, our misfits don’t swap their ankle tags and mobile phones for capes and tights. Instead, they discover what a pain in the arse life can be when you’re stuck with a super power you didn’t want.'


The powers the characters possess aren't the normal super strength or the ability to fly, instead they are more realistic. I especially like Alisha's, not being able to let any one touch her at all. The different way superpowers are approached makes me want to create something alternative to the norm. I have proven to myself that I am generally drawn towards villains as opposed to heroes. Thinking back to my ideas, my first is my favourite. I will be able to bring in the influence of my interest towards the Victorian and gothic theme and simultaneously develop a Villain which is unusual and also fascinating.

No comments:

Post a Comment